You love them from the tips of their toes to the tops of their heads. But are you taking enough care of those precious tops of their heads? Believe it or not, coconut oil is all you need to give a little extra TLC to your bundle of joy’s head and hair.
In this blog, we’ll share three ways you can utilize one of our latest products: Pure Baby.
We’ll start with the simple stuff first! If you’re not sure how to tame your baby’s wild hair as it grows in, don’t stress. Coconut oil is honestly all you need. Simply rub a bit between the tips of your fingers and then smooth your baby’s hair. The coconut oil will keep any flyaways in your desired location naturally, without the industrial chemicals traditional baby oil contains. As a bonus: coconut oil is great for your baby’s hair because it’s a natural moisturizer that’s even great for the skin underneath those sweet tufts of hair.
Cradle cap treatment
If your baby is developing rough, flaky, or scaly patches on their scalp, it’s likely cradle cap. (They may also get it behind their ears or on their faces.) But don’t be alarmed; cradle cap is perfectly normal and isn’t cause for concern. In reality, it’s basically just baby dandruff.
Coconut oil is an effective treatment for cradle cap because it provides a moisture barrier for your baby’s scalp while softening the existing skin flakes and soothing any skin inflammation the cradle cap may have caused. Simply apply a small amount of olive oil to your baby’s scalp and gently massage until the oil absorbs into the skin. After that, it’s important to rinse the oil away with water and a gentle shampoo.
Head lice are tiny insects that live and lay eggs on your scalp and also suck blood. They are extremely contagious and can cause itching and irritation. If lice has made its way into your household, your baby or toddler could get them. Fortunately, coconut oil may help.
Coconut oil contains lauric acid which may kill lice. Though this treatment is not as effective as over-the-counter treatments you find at your local pharmacy, it’s all-natural qualities make it a less toxic treatment option. If your baby or toddler can’t tolerate these stronger treatments, coconut oil may be an option.
To use coconut oil as a lice treatment, do the following:
- Rinse your child’s hair with the warmest water he or she can tolerate before letting it air dry.
- Apply a generous amount of coconut oil that is above room temperature (making it liquid) to your child’s scalp and gently massage.
- Apply a plastic shower cap to your child’s head immediately after the coconut oil massage, and leave the cap on for at least eight hours. This will suffocate the lice.
- Remove the shower cap, and with a fine-toothed comb, look for dead lice and eggs. Make sure you take your time on this step so as not to miss any eggs that could lead to another infestation!
- Repeat this process up to three more times. If this does not work, you may need to consult your doctor about other gentle treatment options.
As always, we suggest you speak to your doctor regarding your baby’s health and any concerns you may have before utilizing coconut oil as a treatment for various symptoms you may notice.
Then, if you find yourself looking for other ways you can make use of your latest purchase of Pure Baby, we can help! Don’t forget that it’s great for use on both baby and mom. One of our recent blogs has other suggested uses you might want to try.